[Openmcl-devel] user submissions and open-sourceness

p2.edoc at googlemail.com p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 17 01:02:54 PDT 2008

At 5:15 PM -0400 08/06/16, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>But contributing to a port in progress is much harder.  It requires a
>lot of communication.  Even that is possible if the people doing the
>port think that the contribution will outweigh the communication
>overhead.  I can't think of anyone who takes the time to clearly
>explain detailed technical issues better than Gary.  What should we be
>doing differently?

I am not inclined or qualified to tell Clozure to do anything. I'm
sure we all have our own wish list priorities for CCL (mine are
currently all in the UI), but Clozure are presumably so busy that
nagging would seem counter productive.

Coming to mind is an analogy - driving a car on a feeder road up to a
major route. It can seem a challenge to stand at the edge
contemplating joining the juggernauts as they thunder by, so it might
help to have appropriate ramps and sign posts where it would be
fruitful to filter in.  It can be discouraging to put effort (no
matter how ineffectual as far as others are concerned) into some
project only to find it missed the bus (sorry for mixing metaphors).
Just anticipation of this could be a disincentive to those thinking
of contributing. By this I mean that it could help if there was
guidance as to what, where and how contributions would be welcome. It
may be disappointing to find that our contributions are not welcome
by Clozure (inappropriate, sub standard, worthless, duplicating, side
effecting, intrinsically obsolescent, stupid, ...), but if we are
self motivated we can always pursue such ventures in parallel, and
others users might possibly find them useful.

I'd like to see some sort of contributions facility. This would
provide guidance on how to contribute, how to communicate in that
regard, who is doing what, and a list of areas where contributions
would be welcome.  Although CCL is free and Open Source (and how can
anyone not be hugely grateful and motivated by that), it is the
possession and in the control of Clozure, hence presumably any
contributions for CCL need to be appropriate and welcomed by Clozure
to have much chance of coming to fruition.  But that unilateral
control also distances those that do not feel they are a part of the
Clozure extended flock (are still on side roads).  Hence some voting
system where everyone can make suggestions and indicate priorities
might be useful.  Not structured so it could be any sort of style
cramper on Clozure, rather enfranchising for potential contributors
and users (and of course useful for Clozure).  Jeremy's survey (on
info-mcl last year) allowed some folks to make some input, but it was
a one shot.  I have in mind a rolling system that shows where work is
in progress, where, when and how items are planned to be addressed,
and the collective wish-list stretching ahead, where contribs are
needed. The whole structured to be the least style cramping or energy
sapping for Clozure, yet encouraging for contributors. And be a means
by which the loud know-it-all types can be diluted by general common
sense and goodwill.

The likes of Gary's recent clarification on the x86 32bit system
thread: [not even at the point where external feedback/testing would
be useful.  ("It's buggy as hell!" "We know!")] is useful.  >99% of
what I have to say about CCL, I don't, as I assume it'd be time out
of sych with requirements (the rest is probably anyway).

Just this minute I'd like such as a Who Calls facility in the UI,
mouse-copy, curb the CCL Console window, m-. path translations that
work out of the can, Search Files dialog, copy in the apropos and
inspector dialogs, bracket flashing fix, process peek, non-modal
multi-term apropos dialog, backtrace dialog inspect item mouse
action, init file documentation, ... many more.
Do they exist somewhere already, should I wait till they appear, how
long will that be, should I roll my own, if so how can I do this so
it helps others (and doesn't overlap Clozure work or other
simultaneous wheel inventors), what do others want of them, where do
they belong within CCL if at all, ...

My top priority for CCL is robustness, and to that end it would seem
that contributed code would be the better for being both embraced by
Clozure and used by many. Contributions guidance would seem to help
this cause in many ways.

Not to suggest that the equivalent hasn't been elegantly worked out
in other projects, or that this is necessarily the right time for it,
but I get the impression there's not yet much along these lines
available now for CCL (other than
<http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/ToDo>).

The above a rambling 2c thought and not meant to be any demand or
criticism of anyone (although any rolling contrib/wishlist facility
would take effort, I think it could pay back for CCL and it's uptake).