[Openmcl-devel] Problem with Interface Builder bindings

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Mon Mar 3 02:25:39 PST 2008

Kevin Reid <kpreid at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 10:57, Didier Verna wrote:
>
>> [ BTW, in order to let IB know that the class of the File's Owner is a
>>   subclass of NSView, I had to write a fake .h file with an equivalent
>>   definition and have IB read it. Not sure if it's the way to go... ]
>
> In IB's class browser, you can right-click on NSView and choose to
> subclass it; then use the inspector to add the actions and outlets.
>
> In general, the effects of reading an .h file can be reproduced
> manually; particularly, IB also supports generating the .h and .m
> from your interactive definition.
>
> (I haven't used IB in a while; the interface may have changed
> somewhat. There may also be a way to specify the superclass of a
> class after creating it.)

  I dug a bit more into this, and it seems that the new IB 3 doesn't
have this feature anymore. This is a general complaint about it that
I've encountered on several forums. This is because IB3 can synchronize
with XCode automatically so you're not supposed to subclass manually
anymore... unless when you're not using XCode dammit !

Some people answer that it is not a problem because you can now also
type in any class name whatsoever; even ones that are not known to IB.
This is true, but still a pain, because when IB knows about subclassing,
it is able to present you with interesting outlets and actions directly,
which doesn't work with an unknown class :-(

--
5th European Lisp Workshop at ECOOP 2008, July 7: http://elw.bknr.net/2008/

Didier Verna, didier at lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (0)1 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (0)1 53 14 59 22  didier at xemacs.org