[Openmcl-devel] Is this a bug?

p2.edoc at googlemail.com p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:24:11 PDT 2008

At 6:36 PM -0700 08/03/16, Ron Garret wrote:
>  Today I restarted a
>long-running Lisp process only to discover that a whole bunch of code
>that had been working just fine now refused to compile because I had
>written a bunch of code that use the symbol VIEW as an argument, and
>then wrote:
>
>(defclass view (ns:ns-view)
>    (container)
>    (:metaclass ns:+ns-object))

My instinct sides with Ron, the situation above could cause havoc
(the more so in large systems with multiple maintaining sites and
long development cycles). It seems rather non-CL to make a class name
static. Is this a particular implementation issue for CCL? Or perhaps
an optimization to short-cut the need to call find-class?
---