[Openmcl-devel] directory, create-directory, ...

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Oct 6 13:01:16 PDT 2008

I started to write a much longer response, but it was amounting to a
CL pathname tutorial.  As Hans pointed out, Peter Seibel has already
written one (and it appears to be quite good).  If reality doesn't
match one's intuitions about it, there are two general explanations
for that:

  1) Reality is wrong somehow.
  2) One's intuitions are ill-founded.

I strongly suspect that reality is often just plain wrong, but that
suspicion has never done me much good ...  Please read Peter's tutorial.

The keyword arguments to DIRECTORY should really be documented
somewhere other than in comments in the source, but they have nothing
to do with how namestrings are parsed into pathnames in general or in
a particular implementation.  (They do have to do with whether things
which could potentially be included in DIRECTORY's results are in fact
included in those results.)

Likewise, it'd be better if the MODE argument to CREATE-DIRECTORY
was documented (via DOCUMENTATION or the manual or both.)   It'd
be even worse than it is if sources weren't available or if M-.
didn't work.