[Openmcl-devel] Windows versions of CCL available for smoke-testing

David Brown lisp at davidb.org
Thu Oct 9 11:35:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:12:07AM -0600, Gary Byers wrote:

> This is all potentially confusing.  Wikipedia provides good overviews
> of what the terms SSE2 and SSE3 mean in this context:

I don't have a lot of 32-bit machines.  One of concern is my Athlon XP
2500, which seems to only have sse (but 3dnow).

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3>

> The kernel checks for the presence of SSE2 on startup and says something
> like "CPU doesn't support required features" and exits if it's not present.
> Nothing in the lisp uses SSE3 or later.

Ok, so it appears that it should work on one of my 32-bit machines,
but not the other.  I plan on retiring the old Athlon at some point
anyway, so it matters less.

Please it's good motivation to keep me honest about keeping my code
working on SBCL :-)

Thanks for the clarification,
David