[Openmcl-devel] Old MCL buffers behaviour in CCL

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Mon Oct 20 09:35:28 PDT 2008

Hello Gilles --

There are a couple of efforts underway at Clozure that would be
relevant to your work:

1. MCL-in-CCL.  We have a contract to port a large MCL application to
CCL, running on Intel-32.  To achieve that, we are porting a large
portion of the MCL Macintosh interface to CCL, including windows,
menus, dialogs, etc.   The results will all eventually be open-sourced.

I don't know if the Fred buffer commands will be included in that
project --- the people working on it are at OOPSLA this week, so I
can't quickly ask them.  If they are included, you should be all set.
If they aren't, we can talk about next step.  It's something we'd be
happy to do as part of a separate contract, and I think it would be a
relatively small amount of work.  This would give you Fred buffer
commands in something close to their MCL context.  However, it
wouldn't include the MCL IDE, or any IDE for that matter.

2. For an IDE, we move onto the next project:  We've just begun a
fundraising effort to help us make improvements to the CCL development
environment.  Our goal is to raise money for one solid month of work.
Clozure will then match that with a second month for free.  With two
solid months we believe we can make the CCL IDE a worthy successor to
MCL.

A major focus will be making the editor more like Fred.  Our
priorities will be set by the donors, but this project could certainly
include providing the Fred buffer commands on CCL editor windows.

I will post the details of this fundraising effort in a separate
message in the near future.  Don't let that hold you up, though.  If
you'd like to contribute, let me know, and we can set up a time to
talk about your needs and priorities in more detail.

That goes for everyone else reading this message, too: if we all pull
together, we get the CCL IDE from its current state of almost-usable
to a state of really usable in a big way.

Andrew