[Openmcl-devel] make-method-lambda ?

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Wed Sep 10 01:41:20 PDT 2008

On 2008-09-09, at 13:11 , Pascal Costanza wrote:

> You have to keep track of that anyway. The semantics of define-
> manipulated-method is sufficiently different from (standard) defmethod
> that it warrants using different names to make that distinction
> explicit.

my experience has been, that this distinction is academic and can be
less useful in practice than on paper.
circumstances vary.

> The idea of make-method-lambda is that you can use methods
> defined using defmethod interchangeably with different semantics in
> different contexts/generic functions, but it's actually very unlikely
> that a change of semantics (the fact whether the arguments are
> manipulated or not in your example) will _not_ have an effect on the
> method body.

i am concerned with a case where there is to be no effect. that's the
point of it.

> So if you have to change the method body because of
> different semantics, you might as well change the defining construct.

moot.

> The advantage is that your code is more explicit. I think that makes
> it easier to keep track of things, not harder.

what you suggest is the equivalent of "unrolling" optimization. with
the attendant benefits and drawbacks. under many circumstances the
resulting computation is equivalent, but as soon as let-binding and
re-computation become concerns, the benefits fade.

a thought experiment. method combination objects are in a similar
"neglected stepchild" position with respect to ensure-generic-
function as the generic function argument with respect to make-method-
lambda. it is conceivable to argue, that one could improve the
situation by implementing compute-effective-method as an inline macro-
expansion for define-generic-function. that this does not work for
various reasons, and would be a generally bad idea, suggests the
drawbacks inherent in inline expansion for make-method-lambda and why
it runs counter to the mop's paradigm.