[Openmcl-devel] stdout from called C funcs while using IDE

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 16:48:58 PDT 2009

Thanks, that was a good explanation. I can understand why you might
not redirect fd 2 (normally stderr for C functions) for the reasons
you mentioned (you would get all sorts of random messages). I suppose
you can't guarantee that fd 1 doesn't also get that sort of output and
I can't speak for the various library functions that are out there,
but I would normally expect the use of fd 1 by OS functions (other
than those like printf which are explicitly intended to use it) to be
pretty minimal. So I would mildly lobby for a redirection of fd 1
(only) to AltConsole in order to accommodate the simple use of printf
in called C functions. If not, it might be useful for someone to add a
comment on the web page I referenced to explain where the output from
the example functions will go when executed under the IDE. Or I
suppose the examples could be made more complex by passing in the
AltConsole fd to the C functions. I suspect you may have higher
priorities, so consider all this just a mild suggestion if it's
convenient.