[Openmcl-devel] stdout from called C funcs while using IDE

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Mon Apr 6 17:20:53 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Paul Krueger wrote:

> I'm running the Cocoa IDE for CCL under Leopard.

This is not directly related to your issue, but I find it useful in
the IDE when testing/degugging multi-threaded code to be able to send
output to the IDE listener. I'm sure Gary or someone else from Clozure
will correct me if this is a bad idea, but I've been doing this:

(define-symbol-macro *listener-output*
                (hemlock-ext::top-listener-output-stream))

which allows things like

(process-run-function "whatever"
                         (lambda ()
                           (let ((result (something-time-consuming-on-
another-thread)))
                             (format *listener-output* "result is ~a~
%" result))))

Of course if one does this the output from multiple threads will be
unpredictably interleaved in the listener.

regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com