[Openmcl-devel] keys

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Apr 7 11:26:52 PDT 2009

I've been playing around with enabling the input menu, adding various
input sources/keyboard layouts, toggling between them, and using
Keyboard Viewer to see how different characters are generated on
different keyboards.  I have to admit that I don't know what the
correct way to enter a tilde on a French keyboard is. (In that
keyboard layout, option-n is a dead key which can combine with other
characters to produce tilde-accented variants of those characters; the
sequence "option-n, space" seems to produce a raw tilde, but that may
not be the best way to do it.)

As of r11903 in the trunk, one of the issues that's prevented some
parts of this (including dead key handling) from working for the last
year or so is at least worked around, so it's possible to do "ctrl-q,
option-n, space" (where the "q" is to the right of the caps lock key
in the French layout) to insert a tilde.  That's awkward enough that
Daniel's suggestion of using Ukelele to generate a custom keyboard
layout may be attractive.

(With that workaround in the trunk, it's also possible to use the
"Special Characters ..." option on the Edit menu or other means to
open the "Character Palette", hunt around for tilde (in "Punctuation"),
select it, and click on the "insert" button.  Again, Daniel's suggestion
seems attractive.)

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Joakim Sandgren wrote:

> if i hit option-n in ukelele the output inspector show U+007E... seems to be
> the right key then ?.. J
> Le 7 avr. 09 à 15:00, Daniel Dickison a écrit :
>
>> Well a plain standalone 'tilde' as used by FORMAT is a different character
>> than the tilde accent character.  On my US keyboard, typing option-shift-n
>> gives me the character #\Small_Tilde (#x2DC) while the real "Tilde" (#x7E)
>> is typed by Shift-backtick (the key to the left of the "1").  Is it
>> possible that option-n is giving you #x2DC instead of #x7E?
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what your keyboard is doing, but Mac OS X lets you
>> customize keyboard layouts via an XML file, and there's a nice GUI front
>> end to this functionality called Ukulele:
>>   http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=Ukelele
>> You might find it useful to create a "Lisp Layout" which makes it easier to
>> type the various Common Lisp special characters.  (I have one that modifies
>> Dvorak to makes it easier to type paretheses, tilde, # etc.)
>>

>> On Apr 7, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Joakim Sandgren wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on ccl IDE 1.3 32bits,
>>> just tried c-q and then option n to have a tilde but that just gave me the
>>> console with a lots of red text...
>>> Joakim
>>>

>>> Joakim Sandgren
>>> joakim sandgren musik