[Openmcl-devel] clsql regression with slot-value

John McAleely john at mcaleely.com
Mon Apr 13 04:36:45 PDT 2009

On 10 Mar 2009, at 16:44, Osei Poku wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:52 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>>
>> I think that 1.2 and earlier may have treated "... :type nil ..."
>> in a slot specification as if the :type option was missing (and
>> therefore defaulted to T.)  That isn't correct, though it did
>> mask the fact that saying that a slot has a type of NIL is almost
>> certainly incorrect (even if it's well-defined.)
>>
>> Really saying that a slot has type NIL is obscure enough that
>> I wouldn't be too upset if DEFCLASS warned about it.
>>
>> I would guess that that the author(s) of CLSQL didn't really
>> intend to say that the slot in question had type NIL ...
>
> No, I would think not.  In fact, I can't even find the place where the
> slot type is specified.  CLSQL does do some extreme acrobatics with
> metaclasses and calculating effective slots and so on so it's hard to
> know where exactly this may be happening.  I also sent a similar email
> to the CLSQL mailing list (I was not sure what the rules were about
> cross-posting :/ ).

Was there a resolution for this problem? I believe I am running in to
it while trying to set up a clsql/sqlite development environment.

Assuming the change required is in CLSQL, I have googled for the
message on 'the CLSQL mailing list', but I cannot see anything
apparently relevant in the results.

I'm using:

Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.3-dev-r11946-trunk (Windowsx8632)
Clsql-4.0.4
uffi-1.6.1
rt-20040621

With the :sqlite3 backend. When I try to run the test suite inserting
the first entry in the database fails with this error:

Error: The value NIL, derived from the iniform NIL, can not be used to
set the value of the slot CLSQL-SYS::VIEW-DATABASE in #<CLSQL-
TESTS::COMPANY #x8CC3EAE>, because it is not of type NIL.