[Openmcl-devel] bad impressions to Lisp newbies

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Fri Apr 24 01:31:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:53:51AM -0600, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> A: Oh well, that is just how things are, Now we need to built the IDE.
>
> N: built the IDE ? Huhh, why?
>
> A: Oh well, that is just how things are

I'm not sure how it is with the CCL Cocoa interface or CCL on Mac in
general, but isn't the IDE a non-essential gimmick?

Rather like "No, we don't need to build it actually, but see here CCL
gives us this cool matching IDE for free!".

> I go to the example folder and pick them randomly, really.

Your criticism of the state of the demos may be valid or not (I haven't
tried them), but I think you should have prepared your demo better.

Lisp communities are small and most projects often don't have enough
man-power (and/or varied system environments exposure) to keep all
aspects of their software in good shape, so it should become second
nature to prepare and double-check a demo before showing it to someone.

  Leslie