[Openmcl-devel] bad impressions to Lisp newbies

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 17:20:14 PDT 2009

Hi again,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Alexander Repenning
<ralex at cs.colorado.edu> wrote:
> I wanted to show to a non Lisp programmer why Lisp is good in general
> and Clozure CL in particular. Things went, lets just say, rather
> terrible. Here is rough "transcript" of the story (A: for Alex, N: for
> Lisp newbie)

Hold on Sir!  You can't get off that easily :-)
 -- I tried the Lisp User Interface last night and ran into trouble myself:

Using the zip file from
http://www.agentsheets.com/lisp/Lisp-User-Interface.zip, and the
ccl-init.lisp that you attached to your announcement email (from 4
February 2009), I couldn't get the UI loaded:

bfulgham2-215:~ brent$ ccl64
ccl:tools;asdf-install;asdf-install.asd.newest into #<Package "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM ASDF-INSTALL #x30004106182D> as ASDF-INSTALL
;;; ASDF-Install version 0.6.10
> Error: There is no package named "HEMLOCK" .
> While executing: CCL::SET-PACKAGE, in process listener(1).
> Type :GO to continue, :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> If continued: Retry finding package with name "HEMLOCK".
> Type :? for other options.
1 >

I finally figured out that it worked best if I used a CCL IDE build
using "(require :cocoa-application)", then loaded the ccl-init.lisp
file manually.  This brought up the examples.lisp file for LUI.

Attempting to evaluate:

<application-window x="100" y="100" width="300" height="176"
title="valign='middle'"minimizable="false">
  <row valign="middle">
    <button text="Stop Global Warming" width="200"/>
    <bevel-button text="multiple
lines
of
text" x="50"
y="50" height="100"/>
  </row>
</application-window>

Results in an error:

#P"/Users/brent/ccl-init\\.lisp.lui"
?
> Error: value "valign='middle'" is not of the expected type (OR CCL:MACPTR NULL).
> While executing: CCL::%COERCE-TO-ADDRESS, in process Listener(13).
> Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
1 >

Did a recent change in CCL break the XLUI stuff?

-Brent