[Openmcl-devel] bad impressions to Lisp newbies

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Sat Apr 25 22:55:48 PDT 2009

The golden rule of user interface design 101 is that if multiple users
are confused about something there is usually no point for the
designer of the interface to claim that he or she does not find it
confusing. People are trying to help you and you are basically
belittling these comments.

I  did not make that particular comment regarding the trac page. As I
said before, I find the site as a whole a bit confusing not any
particular page. Look, what most of us want to do is to get some
general information, download the app, access the source, and get some
support. This is pretty basic stuff. It is great that you offer all of
these pages/sites:

http://trac.clozure.com  http://ccl.clozure.com http://
svn.clozure.com  http://openmcl.clozure.com http://www.clozure.com/

I am not even sure I found them all. The issue is quite simply that
there is NO SINGLE NAVIGATION that is common to all these sites. Even
the most simple navigation tab structure (e.g., Home, Download,
Support, ...) shared between the sites would work wonders. Make it a
frame it you must. Finding the right link somewhere on some page to
move from one site to another IS confusing.

This may not be the worlds greatest example but it does feature the
kind of navigation that the Clozure site is missing: http://www.openoffice.org

Thanks but no thanks to the dancing girls ;-) but navigation would be
nice.

Alex

On Apr 25, 2009, at 10:32 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> The Trac page (http://trac.clozure.com/ccl) seems pretty clear to me.
> There is a table on that page in the section called "Getting Clozure
> CL"  that includes links to archives for all the platforms.  Maybe I
> should put some animated dancing girls or something next to it so that
> it stands out better.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department