[Openmcl-devel] Backups, revision control, and taking over the world

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Aug 5 14:33:30 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:20 PM, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> I do not completely agree on the SVN front. SVN certainly has its
> problems but there are some really nice clients available for OS X
> (e.g., Cornerstone http://www.zennaware.com/). It works even without
> a SVN server.

The problem with SVN is (or at least was the last time I checked --
admittedly that was a while back) that it did not support automatic
merging, and could not because it didn't track common ancestors.
Maybe that has changed, but if it hasn't that's a show-stopper for
me.  A revision control system that doesn't track ancestry is worse
than useless as far as I'm concerned because it makes you feel all
warm and fuzzy until you have to merge two branches and then you're
totally screwed.

rg