[Openmcl-devel] Where Fools Rush In

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Aug 29 23:57:32 PDT 2009

When installing XCode, be sure to select the optional "OSX 10.4 support"
(building the lisp kernel depends on this, since we still support 10.4)

There were a couple of kernel changes required to build and run under 10.6,
but I'm fairly sure that we got them into the 1.3 sources.

As far as I know, everything in CCL and the IDE behaves the same way under
10.6 as 10.5, which isn't too surprising (given that many 10.6 changes
are supposed to be "under the hood", rather than "let's rename everything,
since we haven't done that in a few years.")  (OK, there are typically
a lot of real changes as well as gratuitous ones in an OSX release, but
there are usually enough gratuitous/arbitrary changes that a lot of stuff
- sometimes including CCL - breaks.  There seems to have been a conscious
effort to be more ... sober ... about this this time.)

My general sense that there are no major 10.6-related issues is based
on having run CCL under 10.6 prereleases for (maybe) a total of a few
days over the last year or so.  It's certainly possible that issues
will appear (either long-standing CCL bugs getting exposed by 10.6 or
outright bugs in 10.6), but I'd say that it'd be much less foolish to
rush in to 10.6 at this point than it usually is.