[Openmcl-devel] ccl manual (was Re: trace on recursive functions)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Dec 11 02:34:36 PST 2009

On 10 Dec 2009, at 19:11, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> To misuse a chemistry term, the activation energy required to create
> or edit is wiki page is much lower than that for editing the manual.
>
> The manual is in DocBook, and it is rather painful to edit (at least
> for me it is).  Emacs's nXML mode keeps me from producing invalid
> structure, but still, DocBook is big and complicated.
>
> With the wiki, it's easy to just throw something up there.
> Eventually, important stuff on the wiki makes it back into the
> manual, or ought to.  TRACE is one example that made the jump.  Just
> looking now, I see that the documentation on HEAP-UTILIZATION is
> another candidate that should make the leap to the manual.

Is there any way to make the wiki *be* the manual? I don't know enough
about the specific wiki here, but I'm thinking of some approach where
you construct some kind of view of a lot of wiki pages which
essentially is the manual (obviously this would not be "all pages" it
would be some subset).  That's probably a bit less powerful than using
some dedicated system like DocBook but it means there is a single
source of information, and it's easier to update as well.