[Openmcl-devel] ccl manual (was Re: trace on recursive functions)

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Mon Dec 14 13:13:15 PST 2009

On 2009-12-14, at 1:48 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

>>> Guess what!  More good news!  (One of these days you are going to
>>> notice a pattern developing here.)  You can actually *change* the
>>> Lisp reader!  Yourself! Easily!
>>
>> Yes, and if you change it enough you'll basically wind up with a
>> reader that's customized to writing documentation. Which is exactly
>> what the @-reader in PLT's Scribble is, which is why I pointed it
>> out.
>>
>> The point is that you've now gone from very simple sexps to a
>> custom syntax that also happens to require me to change system
>> settings in order to be able to edit it efficiently (since I assume
>> the custom quotes will be used for all text in this documentation
>> format; you can't very well document how to use CL strings using a
>> non-standard reader).
>>
>> You would do well to assume that I'm not an ignoramus. I am well
>> versed in this wonderful Unicode and Common Lisp stuff. I am
>> pointing out these problems because your solutions are just as
>> complicated as the solution of using a format where text is
>> unquoted and meta-information is escaped, with the added bonus of
>> not shifting the burden of figuring out how to insert quotes onto
>> the user and their level of familiarity with how to edit plists or
>> whatever's required to make this convenient on other platforms.
>

> No, my solution is not "just as complicated."  My solution has one
> very small startup cost which then pays dividends over a very long
> period of time.  Furthermore, my solution would serve as a showcase
> for what makes Lisp different and unique.  And finally, we're
> talking about writing documentation here.  If we can't document the
> process of editing keybindings well enough to serve the target
> audience we're talking about here then we may as well just pack our
> bags and go home.
>
> If we're not going to take advantage of Lisp's unique features to
> solve our own problems how are we ever going to convince anyone else
> that Lisp can solve their problems?  What are we even doing here?
>
> rg

Ron - does the usefulness of Lisp really imply that one should re-do
markup languages using it? Perhaps SGML and XML are ugly and sub-
optimal. So, I guess, is HTML. But there is a wealth of new problems
to solve (with Lisp!) without rolling our own that area.

I'm a recent convert to Lisp. I think it will solve lots of my
problems, once I am reasonably adept with it. But not ALL of my
problems. I am willing to bite the bullet and go with the crowd on
some things, like markup.

It's near xmas - maybe Erik Naggum (rest in peace, Erik) will appear
to chastise me for my idiocy. But I'm ok with a certain amount of
cruft, if it sorta works and I can move on to other things.

Best,

  - Philippe -