[Openmcl-devel] Clozure CL 1.3-RC1 available

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Feb 16 08:06:18 PST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, John Stoneham wrote:

>> Great, thanks.  There are a couple of things that I'm curious about.
>>
>> 1) In the function 'illegal() in the mach32.c function that I sent out
>> the other day, there's a commented-out
>>
>> /*  __asm__ volatile("int $0xd5");  */
>>
>> If you remove the /* */ comments and recompile, do you get:
>>
>> Mach exception: 1 (EXC_BAD_ACCESS) with 2 codes: 0xd 0x6aa
>>
>> (I'd think so.)
>>

> Yes, that's exactly what I get.

Just out of curiousity, if you change that "int $0xd5" to "int $0xc5",
do you still get  EXC_BAD_ACCESS with the first code 0xd and the
second (I think) 0x62a ?

The point where you're now dying on Tiger

> Unhandled exception 4 at 0x88adc77, context->regs at #xbffff5cc

- where the "exception 4" is SIGILL - is

0x88adc77:	int    $0xc5

If all unimplemented 'int $n" instructions raised EXC_BAD_ACCESS,
then that wouldn't have been affected by a change to the EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION
clause.  (So either the assumption that all such 'int $n' instructions
are created equal is invalid, some other clause was changed by mistake,
or there's another, even weirder explanation ...

The last thing that I can think of to ask you to try involves changing
both the EXC_BAD_ACCESS and EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION clauses, to try to
generate SIGSEGV if the exception is either EXC_BAD_ACCESS or
EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION, the first code is EXC_I386_GPFLT (= 0xd), and
the program counter is pointing at an 'int $n' instruction.

       switch (exception) {
       case EXC_BAD_ACCESS:
         if (code == EXC_I386_GPFLT) {
           signum = SIGILL;
           if (*((pc)ts_pc(ts)) == INTN_OPCODE) {
             signum = SIGSEGV;
           }
         } else {
           signum = SIGBUS;
         }
         break;

       case EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION:
         signum = SIGILL;
         if ((code == EXC_I386_GPFLT) &&
             *((pc)ts_pc(ts)) == INTN_OPCODE) {
           signum = SIGSEGV;
         }
         break;

If that works, it was a lucky guess.  If not, I probably won't be able
to come up with a better guess until I get that Core Duo iMac back (a
week or two ?) and can see what's going on here.