[Openmcl-devel] Lisp User Interface LUI

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Wed Jan 7 20:23:54 PST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> QT is probably one of the most successful cross platform tools.
>
> I am not sure if CCL could just bundle QT given its license. On the Mac it may be hard to mix QT with native Cocoa

Qt has been available under dual commercial or GPL license for years.
Given that CCL is LLGPL, that should work.  CCL could bundle the GPL Qt
and provide instructions for end-users to replace it with the commercial
Qt as needed.

I've used Qt on mac, but never felt a desire to do gui work with the
native tools...  The upcoming Qt 4.5 will be the first Qt version to use
Cocoa.

http://trolltech.com/products/appdev/platform/qt-for-mac

IMO, the hard part is generating bindings to all the functionality Qt
provides.  While most things can be handled through signals/slots, some
are only available through subclassing.  This can be handled by subclasses
which can register callbacks for each vtable entry.  There are too many
things to do this by hand.  Hence the approach taken by Qt/Jambi, where
hints are provided to guide an automated binding.

Just some thoughts,
Daniel