[Openmcl-devel] Lisp User Interface LUI

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Thu Jan 8 23:58:42 PST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Terje Norderhaug wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Alexander Repenning wrote:
>> This may be a good moment to discuss some of the ideas regarding
>> the creation of LUI, the "Lisp User Interface as a cross platform,
>> but Mac first" open source GUI tool.
>
> One technique that I have found very useful through the years is to
> automatically generate the user interface from extended/amended type
> declarations of the information to be presented and/or modified.  I
> know other LISP developers are using similar strategies.

Applying this to the previous examples, consider the "OpenGL 3D"
window in the earliers posting.  It contains sliders that (with style
information separated out) are represented by elements like this in
an XML based layout template:

      <slider name="red" action="adjust-vertex-color-action" max-
value="1.0"/>

Say the LISP application declares the red, green and blue editable
variable values to be real numbers between 0.0 and 1.0, using
constructs like:

     (defvalue red-vertex 0.0
	(:documentation "the amount of red color")
	(:name "red")
         (:type (real 0.0 1.0))
         (:action adjust-vertex-color-action)
         (:group color))

This declaration provides sufficient information to infer that the
red-quantity can be presented and modified using a slider on a Mac,
and that the value is between 0 and 1. Thus an external layout for
the window would no longer have to specify the use of sliders nor the
max value, but may use a more general value placeholder. This leaves
more to the user interface engine, opening for automatically adapting
the presentation to the platform and/or context.