[Openmcl-devel] Lisp User Interface LUI

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Jan 14 20:21:13 PST 2009

Brian,

I had looked, only quickly, at Cocotron but did not spend enough time
exploring it after not finding any commercial app actually using it.
However, looking at it again - thanks to your post- I found this
interesting story:

http://macdaddyworld.com/2008/10/27/adventures-in-cocotron/

This includes some screen dumps and must say it does not look bad (for
Vista ;-)

Perhaps it is ready to go. If one could bundle this with CCL and use
the same objective-c bridge one could save a lot of work. Not
surprisingly, there is some functionality missing but I guess that
would still be better than dealing with super low level win api kinds
of issues.

Gary, any guestimates on how hard this kind of integration would be?
In theory even the Cocoa based CCL hemlock implementation may actually
work on Cocotron allowing CCL win to have a "real" IDE.

sounds exciting,  Alex

On Jan 14, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> Alex and others on the list,
>
> Have you seen Cocotron (@ http://www.cocotron.org/ )? It is an open
> source project to provide a MIT-licensed implementation of the Cocoa
> APIs on Windows (and they are considering supporting other platforms
> in the future). Perhaps it would be less effort in the long run to
> rely on a project like this than implementing a new cross-platform
> API.
>
> Qt theoretically does this too but like others I am not a huge fan
> of C++. If your solution is all C or C++ then Qt is probably the
> easiest way to get a cross-platform GUI. But it can't be bound to
> very easily.
>
> Another option might be to use Cocoa on OS X and GTK+ on Linux and
> Windows. GTK+ applications look very good on Windows, and the API is
> much cleaner than the native Win32 APIs.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department
Boulder, CO 80309-430