[Openmcl-devel] getting CCL ready for CS graphics courses

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jan 14 20:39:26 PST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> thank you for the code and explanations. Some followup questions:
>
> - how does the .cdb  file get created. I assume that is a CCL thing and that
> the .cdb file is the result of parsing the header file contained in the
> framework?

I can believe that, after reading the sections of the manual that discuss
this, the reader might still have some unanswered questions.

These questions ?  That'd be harder to believe.

> - how hard would it be to parse and include the parameter names? Could the
> header file parser be extended to build a .cdb file that would include
> parameter name info? Just seems to be a real shame to skip that kind of info
> given that it is in the header files.

I don't think that parameter names are in the GCC parse trees for a function
declaration, but I'm not 100% sure of that.  (I'm 100% sure that if they're
there, I don't know how to find them ...)

If they are there, then yes, you could write the parameter names to the .ffi
file and ultimately store them in and retrieve them from .cdb files, and
maybe you could do this in some way that didn't introduce incompatibility
with existing tools.

> - what about constants? The .cdb files does not appear to include "CL_..."
> constants such as GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT, yet CCL clearly has access to this
> info, e.g., #$GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT expands into DARWIN32::GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT
> of value 16384.

I think that the best way to resolve this apparent paradox is to
reexamine the assertion that the .cdb files don't contain constants.
(The "constants.cdb" files contain lots of 'em.  Nothing but constants,
in fact ...)

> - type names: Can one use the type names returned by the gl-function-info,
> e.g., :single-float or does one have to use the :<gl>float?
>

> (defun gl-vertex3f (arg-0 arg-1 arg-2)
> (ccl:external-call "_glVertex3f" ; the CCL::EFD-ENTRY-NAME
>                   :single-float arg-0
>                   :<gl>float arg-1
>                   :<gl>float arg-2
>                   :void))

If it can find a type definition for :<gl>float at macroexpand-time,
EXTERNAL-CALL (or something that it macroexpands into) will resolve
the type name into something simpler:

? (use-interface-dir :gl)
#<INTERFACE-DIR :GL #P"gl/" #x3000410D429D>
? (macroexpand-1 '(#_glVertex3f a b c))
(EXTERNAL-CALL "glVertex3f" :<GL>FLOAT A :<GL>FLOAT B :<GL>FLOAT C :VOID)
? (macroexpand-1 *)
(FF-CALL (%REFERENCE-EXTERNAL-ENTRY-POINT (LOAD-TIME-VALUE (EXTERNAL "glVertex3f"))) :<GL>FLOAT A :<GL>FLOAT B :<GL>FLOAT C :VOID)
? (macroexpand-1 *)
(%FF-CALL (%REFERENCE-EXTERNAL-ENTRY-POINT (LOAD-TIME-VALUE (EXTERNAL "glVertex3f"))) :SINGLE-FLOAT A :SINGLE-FLOAT B :SINGLE-FLOAT C :VOID)

If you'd used a primitive foreign type name (like :SINGLE-FLOAT) in the
higher-level code, it would have just been passed through to the lower-level
code unchanged.