[Openmcl-devel] lost word completion

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jun 1 05:19:42 PDT 2009

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Joakim Sandgren wrote:

> Hi,The two latest trunks I have are r12148M and r12169M.
>
> In r12148M with the button "use option key as meta" back slash has
> functioned as a word completion.
> In r12148M without th button use option key as meta" back slash has been
> backslash.
> In r12148M backslash has given backslash with or without "use option key as
> meta" in the Apropos, Search File, and Find windows...
>
> In r12169 I now have only backslash as backslash, with ot without "use
> option key as meta" everywhere.
> Is this a bug, or have the word completion functionality been moved to
> another key?

Word-completion functionality (the Hemlock command "Expand Dynamic
Abbreviation") has alway been bound to the Hemlock key events "meta-/"
and "meta-`".  On a French keyboard, it doesn't seem possible to type
a backquote with a single keystroke, and option-/ is the standard way
of typing a backslash.

r12169 changed the way that keystrokes in editor and listener windows
are interpreted when "use option key as meta" is enabled and the
option key is pressed; if that keystroke would produce a STANDARD-CHAR
(in the CL sense) in the current keyboard layout, then the character
is inserted as if "Quoted Insert" (c-q) was in effect; otherwise, a
Hemlock key event with the meta modifier is generated.  This change is
intended to make it easier to type STANDARD-CHARs (like #\backslash)
that may require use of the option key to generate them, but it also
means that the option key can't be used to set the Hemlock meta
modifier if it would have caused a STANDARD-CHAR to be generated.

It's always possible to generate a Hemlock key event that has the meta
modifier set by using the escape (ESC) key as a prefix: typing the
ESC key followed by any key X is treated just as if you'd typed
"meta-X" on a keyboard that had a meta key, so typing "esc-/" in
an editor or listener window will ordinarily run the "Expand Dynamic
Abbreviation" (lisp symbol completion) command.