[Openmcl-devel] LISP & Statistics

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Mon Jun 8 01:12:03 PDT 2009

Am 08.06.2009 um 01:56 schrieb Steve Núñez:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I hope you’ll forgive a question that’s only tangentially related to
> OpenMCL...
>
> I’ve got a project coming up that involves predictive modelling and
> PMML. This is an area I have been involved with in the past, but am
> quite rusty. It seems that the ‘state of the art’ is ‘R’. It’s an
> active, up to date project, with many contributions. In the Lisp
> side, there’s ‘lisp-stat’, which seems dead.
>
> I don’t mind learning ‘R’, but it’s YAL (Yet Another Language — when
> are we (the industry) going to stop wasting time with this?), but
> would prefer not to add the learning curve time required to the
> project.
>
> Are there any viable alternatives for doing statistics in Lisp?

Funny at least one of the authors of R was/is looking into moving to
Common Lisp.

See the article 'Back to the Future: Lisp as the base for a
Statistical Computing System'.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8Cf16JkKz30C&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21

Also see these talks:  http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/?Talks

Here is some 'statistics' code for Common Lisp:

    http://github.com/blindglobe

Above also hosts a Common Lisp version of the core of 'lisp-stat'.

The CL Directory links to maths libraries:   http://www.cl-user.net/asp/tags/11071

Also see the CLIKI page:

http://www.cliki.net/Mathematics

Regards,