[Openmcl-devel] Rebuilding CCL

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Thu Jun 18 11:25:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> Sorry, a followup question to the one I asked just now.
>
> How do you rebuild the Cocoa IDE?
>
> What I've done:
> - Fetched the original 1.3 .DMG file.  The IDE works fine in this (so
> the various *.app things there are fine).
> - Discovered that, in fact, "svn update" works for this.  Did that
> - rebuilt the command-line application using (ccl:rebuild-ccl :full
> t).  This works fine
> - Now try ccl -e "(require :cocoa-application)".  This builds an
> application bundle, but when you run it spits out a lot of noise about
> compiling & loading stuff into the listener, and then ends up in a
> break loop.

As a workaround, try building the IDE by first starting up the lisp
and then evaluating (require 'cocoa-application) at the prompt.  In
other words, don't use the -e command-line flag.

$ ./dx86cl64
Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.3-r12265M  (DarwinX8664)!
? (require 'cocoa-application)
[...]

Saving application to /Users/rme/test/ccl/Clozure CL-x8664.app/

$ open ./Clozure\ CL-x8664.app/

That should work.

> If I run the command-line application (which claims to be "1.3-
> r12265M  (Darwinx8632)" now), and do a (require "COCOA"), this does
> start the IDE, but each time you run it it compiles a lot of stuff.
> That smells bad to me - is there some issue with file-dates which I do
> not understand?

That's expected.  (Hemlock always gets recompiled.)

> It may be that the answer is "the current version does not build" and
> I should just go back to the DMG one and not try and update/rebuild
> it: that would be fine, though it's kind of nice to be able to rebuild
> it.

IDE development has been happening in the trunk.  Until we somehow
separate the Cocoa IDE from the base lisp, it's probably best for most
IDE users to run the trunk.

You can check out the trunk with:

svn co http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/trunk/darwinx86/ccl

For instance, in the trunk, if a character typed with an option key
turns out to be a standard-char, then we assume that the user meant to
insert that char.  This addresses the problem of typing a # on a UK
keyboard, for instance:  there's no need for a custom command.