[Openmcl-devel] Debugging threads

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Thu Jun 18 13:46:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> What is ostensibly the current state of thread debugging?  When I get
> an error in a thread I get a message like this in the altconsole:
>
> ;;;
> ;;; #<PROCESS Show text(33) [Active] #x946A706> requires access to
> Shared Terminal Input
> ;;; Type (:y 33) to yield control to this thread.
> ;;;
>
> but when I follow the instructions nothing happens.  I can inspect the
> thread through the Tools->Processes menu, but I can't figure out how
> to get a backtrace.
>
> Is this the way things are or am I doing something wrong?  If the
> former, is there already a ticket on this or should I file one?  I
> find it hard to believe that I'm the first person to want to get a
> backtrace on a thread.

Try (process-interrupt ccl::*initial-process* #'break); the break loop
will occur in the altconsole and something will actually be around to
read the (:y 33) that you type.

Please do make a ticket.  When we have a window system, it seems like
we ought to be able to give each thread its own *terminal-io* (bound
to a window stream or something).