[Openmcl-devel] iPhone

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Fri Jun 19 16:02:31 PDT 2009

It's certainly possible.  Apple's rules for what they allow and don't
allow give them a lot of leeway.  The cynical might even call the
rules arbitrary.

Their restriction on interpreters would not necessarily disallow CL
applications.  They discuss interpreters in the same breath as
"component systems."  It looks like their chief concern is not opening
a doorway that would allow users (or developers) to load additional
executable code onto an app after it was delivered.  If you had a
Common Lisp application didn't expose that type of capability, it
could certainly make it through.

That said, Apple really has been arbitrary in rejecting apps.  You
don't have to look far to find multiple stories of people whose apps
are rejected for doing things several previously approved apps do.
It's a black box, and unless you have Nine Inch Nails' publicist,
there's not a lot you can do about it.

In term of making this a technical possibility:

As far as I know, we haven't looked at what specifically would be
required to build an app containing CCL that could be codesigned by
Xcode.  I just don't know how easy/hard/possible/impossible that would
be.

There's also the small matter of getting six to twelve months of Gary
Byers' time funded to do the ARM port.  If anyone would like to make a
contribution to that, please let us know.  We have not so far been
able to find any significant funding source.

I'd love to see it happen, though.