[Openmcl-devel] A question about ticket #400

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Tue Jun 23 09:42:07 PDT 2009

I agree. It should be OK to just keep the content of a file ASCII (or
unicode) and apply the styling just in time. Even Google code can do
this (using Java script) at a fast enough rate. Saving would only save
ASCII/unicode but one could have a Save As option including saving the
styled version as RTF.

alex

On Jun 20, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Glen Foy wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Gail Zacharias wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, here's the thing...  The API can easily provide any number of
>> functions such as save/load-buffer-as-html or save/load-buffer-as-
>> rtf or save/load-buffer-in-home-baked-format-with-font-info-encoded-
>> in-lisp-comments or whatever, stuff like that would be trivial to
>> write.  The problem is that it's not clear to me what Hemlock should
>> actually do to save the attributes, given the reality of living in a
>> unix file system.  Any thoughts?
>
> If we are just talking about Hemlock as a source code editor, it may
> not be necessary or even desirable to distribute styled files.
> Everyone has their own idea of what source code should look like
> anyway.
>
> From that point of view, the styling information could be stored in
> an associated invisible file and distributed or not distributed as the
> author saw fit.  When hacking, Hemlock would look for the associated
> file, using it if it was there.  This would be a simple solution.
>

> People may, however, want to use Hemlock for other purposes.  In which
> case the two file approach is not so good.
>

> This issue clearly needs some brainstorming.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department
Boulder, CO 80309-430