[Openmcl-devel] GC aspects, tuning, behavior

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jun 25 18:33:58 PDT 2009

CCL's GC basically manages a single contiguous region of memory; you
can think of that region as being divided into two subregions.  The
subregion "on the left" contains allocated objects (things that survived
the last GC) and the subregion "on the right" contains free space.  When
an image is first loaded and after a full GC, the size of the free space
is determined by LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD.

Conceptually (it doesn't really work exactly like this), free space fills
up from left to right; when free space fills up completely, a full GC
is triggered.  The GC identifies which objects are live, then does an
in-place, order-preserving compaction of live objects ("towards the left"),
creating contiguous free space on the right.  If necessary, more pages
are obtained from the OS so that the free space is of a size determined
by LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD; in some cases, the heap can shrink and unneeded
pages can be returned to the OS.  (There's a large - possibly very large -
chunk of reserved address space "to the right" of the free area.)

The fact that garbage is returned to (contiguous) free space by
in-place, order-preserving compaction offers some useful properties.
If allocated object X is "to the left of" (has a lower address than)
object Y, then it is generally true that X is older than Y (X has
survived more GC cycles than Y has), though X and Y may be of the same
vintage/generation.  If we wanted to, we could keep some extra
bookkeeping information and identify each subregion of allocated space
that had survived I full GCs for I = 1 .. N, and part of that bookkeeping
might involve adjusting some pointers if/when things moved around due to
compaction.

We don't actually do that, but we do use a similar scheme to keep track
of things on the right end of allocated space (maintaining regions that
describe "newly allocated things", "things that've survived a few GCs",
"things that've survived quite a few GCs but might still become garbage
soon.")  These regions are the EGC's "generations", and they're basically
just a pair of pointers to the start and end of a region in allocated
space and a threshold/limit value that affects EGC policy (how big the
youngest generation can get before the EGC is invoked, how big the older
ephemeral generations can get before the EGC looks at them as well as
looking at the youngest generation.)  The EGC's essentially doing the
same work as the full GC does - identifying live objects and doing an
in-place order-preserving compaction on them - only it's doing that
work on (generally) small subregions of at the extreme right end of
allocated space.  To the extent that it's true that a high percentage
of newly-allocated objects are short-lived, this work is productive.
(That's true of all ephemeral/generational GC schemes; the only things
that might be atypical of CCL's EGC is that promoting/tenuring objects
from one generation to the next is done by adjusting the bounds of
the generations, not by copying things to other memory areas.)

There are a lot of things to like about this scheme; it makes
allocation quick (since free memory is contiguous) and it generally
takes time proportional to the number of live objects.  The worst-case
scenarios - which would involve copying large objects around during
in-place compaction - tend not to happen all that often (or tend to
happen a few times before things stabilize.)  In practice, long-lived
objects tend not to move around, though in theory they could.

The scheme doesn't special-case "large" objects (they tend to behave
like the pig in the python: the pig eventually gets from one end of
the python to the other, but it's not always pleasant for pig or
python and may involve some premature tenuring.)  There's no way to
allocate an object and declare it to be "old", though this could be
done (essentially by pushing everything to the right and allocating
the object at or near the extreme left.)  I can imagine cases where
this would be worthwhile and desirable, but in most cases where I'd
have been concerned about this that concern has been unfounded.

You can manually invoke a full GC via (CCL:GC).  There's no way
to trigger the EGC manually.

I don't remember if anything checks for it, but setting the size
of generation 0 to 0 will probably cause the EGC to be triggered
unproductively (if it doesn't cause worse behavior.)  Setting the
size of generations 1 or 2 to 0 could be done but may not be
very useful; making the generations slightly larger than the defaults
could improve performance somewhat (if things are "short-lived, but
not THAT short-lived.")