[Openmcl-devel] GC aspects, tuning, behavior

Jon S. Anthony j-anthony at comcast.net
Sun Jun 28 11:07:01 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 14:25 -0600, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Jon S. Anthony wrote:
>

> > Let me see if I'm getting the basic claims here. First, CCL's
> > generational GC is not a copying type collector but a mark/compact
> > collector (that alone is somewhat interesting as it must be one of a
> > very few that take this route).  So, it doesn't have semi-spaces
> > (hemispheres) in either new (creation/young) space or in old (aging)
> > space.  It really only has one old/aging space (the so called region "on
> > the left").
>
> At some point in time, I seem to remember hearing that Microsoft's .NET
> GC uses a mark/compact scheme that's eerily similar to CCL's.  (I may
> be misremembering that.)

Don't know.  I think Ungar built one of these at Xerox for a Smalltalk
impl at some point.  Or at least partly so.

> > It uses 3 generations - all in new/creation space (the so called region
> > "on the right").  This space is of size LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD.  It is
> > split into three regions - one for each generation.  Youngest
> > (generation 0) is probably "right most" with gen 1 adjacent to the left
> > and gen 2 adjacent to gen 1 on the left.  I don't think the sizes of
> > these regions is user accessible, but the "threshold limits" (for when
> > to trigger a minor collection) for them are - they are the
> > egc-configuration values.  While these probably affect the size of the
> > regions in some way as well (under the overall constraint of
> > LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD), there is no way to configure the sizes of these
> > regions directly - only the overall size they are carved from:
> > LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD.
> >

> Since they aren't statically sized regions, there is indeed no way to
> configure their size; the threshold limits basically have to do with
> when the region gets GCed.

Right.

> > There is some promotion policy (not mentioned, but maybe based on
> > percent used of the regions for each generation and/or the number of
> > minor collections an item survives), and minor collections (those
> > involving only new space - what you seem to call EGC collections) are

Could you give a thumbnail sketch of what the promotion policy is?  That
could give interesting hints about behavior under various conditions.

> ... Since the scavenge
> > technique uses order preserving compaction, the piece of Gen I that Gen
> > I+1 eats will be (most likely anyway) the oldest (via some measure -
> > probably collection cycles).  However that probably means there will be
> > a gap in Gen I+1 between it's last set of non promoted collected
> > survivors and the newly eaten Gen I items.  That gap will be removed on
> > the next collection (via compaction) of Gen I+1.
> >

> There's never a gap.
>
> When the youngest generation fills up, then at the very least that generation
> is collected and compacted; the GC operates on the (generally small) region
> of memory between the youngest generation's start and end.

Yes, but the "gap" bit was about when things from a younger generation
are promoted to an older generation during a scavenge of just the
younger generation (no older scavenge triggered - but maybe you are
saying that can't happen?)

My understanding was that promotion was achieved by simply increasing
the top pointer of the older generation (Gen I+1) so that it now
included part of what was once the younger generation (Gen I).  The gap
would then be the piece of space between the last currently believed
live object of Gen I+1 and the oldest just promoted object from Gen I:

...|XXXXX ...|YYYYYYYY...|  <--- Before scavenge triggers promotion

     I+1       I         ^-- "Highest currently allocated address"

             ^----- "top of I+1, before promotion"

...|XXXXX ...YYYY|YYYY...|  <---- After scavenge promotes some of I

                 ^--- New top of I+1 effects promotion

           ^-- the "gap"

Or, maybe such a promotion always triggers a mark compact of I+1??  Or
maybe I have just misunderstood the description.

> > Of course any collection for an older generation will collect younger
> > ones as well (do to the usual idea of only wanting to track - via write
> > barriers - old-young pointer changes).
>
> And if, at the point when the youngest generation is full and a GC is
> triggered the next oldest generation's size exceeds its threshold, it's
> also collected (and likewise for the oldest ephemeral generation.)  This
> means that the GC operates on (marks and compacts) objects in the contiguous
> region region between the start of the oldest ephemeral region and the
> end of the youngest ephemeral region.

Yes, sure.

> > When new space fills up completely, a full/global/major collection is
> > triggered and promotable items in the 3 new space generations are
> > "moved" to old space (again, probably by simply advancing the "top"
> > pointer of old space).  It also does a collection (mark/compaction) on
> > the items in old space (which probably includes the new promoted things
> > as that step likely happens first).  Old space's "top" (right most)
> > pointer is adjusted to just past last live thing in old space.  If there
> > is not enough space freed up in old space to account for all the newly
> > promoted objects plus the ones remaining in new space so that
> > LISP-HEAP-GC-THRESHOLD space is available for new space, some extra
> > space is allocated to the "top" (right most) of new space to achieve
> > this limit.
>
> Yes, basically.
>
> If it helps: the GC (whether "ephemeral" or "full") always operates
> on a region of allocated memory between the start of allocated space
> and its end.  A full GC operates on all of allocated space; an ephemeral
> GC operates on a generally small where the start is nearer the end.  In
> all cases (for simplicity's sake), the live objects in the region that
> the GC operates on are compacted towards the start of the region, generally
> freeing up memory near the end of allocated space/start of free space.  The
> differences (really the only ones) between full and ephemeal GC have to do
> with the size (start) of the region being GCed and with the fact that the
> ephemeral GC has to consider pointers from old objects to new ones.

Yes, that's how I understood it was working at this level.

> The exception to the "everything's always fully compacted" rule has to
> do with CCL::FREEZE, which you mentioned earlier.  CCL::FREEZE does a
> full GC and notes the end allocated space after GC; subsequent full
> GCs (including those invoked by FREEZE) will not compact below/to the
> left of that point

Makes sense.

>  (though a full GC will zero out the words occupied
> by "frozen" objects that become garbage.  (So frozen objects are
> tenured in the sense that they're immune from relocation due to
> compaction, but they're not immortal and can die in office.)

Is that zeroed out space actually reuseable?  Or do the dead continue to
take up office space in "peter principle" analogy...

> > The basic scheme does not treat "large" objects specially - I don't
> > think that buys much either, especially nowadays.
> >
> > There is no way to invoke or trigger a minor collection (egc
> > collection).  ccl:gc invokes a full/major/global collection.  That's not
> > so good, IMHO, but I guess it is what it is.
>
> It's not hard to implement, but I've always found it hard to understand
> why someone would want to invoke a minor collection manually: there's
> a fairly good chance that one just happened and an equally good chance
> that one's about to, and it's not immediately clear that one can accurately
> predict the effects of an ephemeral collection.  (For a full GC, you can
> more reliably predict that "doing one now makes it less likely that you'll
> do one in the middle of the big demo", for example; I can't fill in the
> blank in "I want to force an ephemeral GC now, so that ____.")

I think this (and see below about the other point) is more useful in a
copying collector where you can also control the promotion policy.  It
also depends on your knowing a fair amount about what is happening in
certain special cases.  But as I'm thinking of it right now, those
actually have more to do with preventing "premature" minor collections
than triggering them.

> > There is no way to tell the GC/allocator/mutator that a "new" item is
> > really an old space item, i.e., just allocate it up front in old space.
> > I don't think that is so good either - there are definitely cases where
> > this is a major win.
>
> As I said, I used to be more concerned about this than I am now (or, more
> accurately, every time that I've convinced myself that it'd be a big win
> to do some sort of static allocation, I've been proven wrong.)  I can't
> say that your intuition about this is wrong, but I can certainly say that
> mine often has been.

This isn't so much about intuition as simple observations in the past -
but that has been with copying collectors and mostly with one specific
collector.

> The "something else" of course is that the object stopped moving after
> a few GC iterations.

Sure, and of course that happens in copying collectors as well.  But,

> In a straightforward 2-space copying GC, a long-lived object's address
> would likely change on every GC until something decides that it'd be
> better to keep it in a static memory area,

That's really no different from what is happening in the compaction
collector.  However, there is typically less work being done for such
things in the compactor since they don't need to be copied except during
promotion compactions.  Scavenge compactions in a generation (region)
will only move them if something older than they dies before promotion.
Which in the sort of case being discussed would not likely be happening.
In the copying collector, they will be copied on each scavenge.

>  and it might indeed be a
> big win to just allocate it in that static area in the first place.
> In a compacting GC, long-lived things -tend- to spend large parts of
> their lifetimes at stable addresses (aren't moved by the compaction
> process), though it may take a few GC cycles to reach stability

Again, that's basically true of copying collectors as well.  The real
issue here is that if you know that a lot (hundreds of thousands to
millions) of objects are going to be created that are not going to die
during a given program run, then those "GC cycles" can add up during the
"bulk load" process (a few milliseconds here a few milliseconds there -
pretty soon you're talking real time).  But again, this will be rather
more pronounced for a copying collector as the cycles will typically
always move the objects until they actually are tenured to an old/aging
space.  In a compacting collector (certainly the one described for CCL
here) they will tend not to move except possibly during a promotion.
That's a big difference.

>  and
> the object is still (potentially) subject to compaction.

That would be the equivalent of possibly being dumped during a
global/major GC in a copying collector.  However, notice that for this
case, the copying collector comes out rather better: you don't need to
do any work since it won't be copied to the Tospace, but the compactor
will very likely need to move stuff into the vacated space.  There is no
free lunch ...

>  but since the
> tradeoff is between static allocation and "dynamic allocation that's
> in fact nearly static" (as opposed to "dynamic allocation where space
> flips happen on every GC"), the degree of ... winnitude is certainly
> different.

Yes.

> > Is this more or less on track?
>
> I think so.

I think we are pretty near closure (!) here.  This thing is sufficiently
different that there really isn't a whole lot you can tune.  However,
let me ask about this scenario for the "loads of large numbers of known
to be "undying" objects":

Start with a major/global/full GC.  Save the current value of
lisp-gc-heap-threshold. Set the threshold limits of gen-1 and gen-2 (NOT
gen 0) to something very small.  Actually how about just 0.  Set
lisp-heap-gc-threshold "high" - basically enough to hold all the objects
to be created.  Create objects.  There should be no minor GC during this
as they should all fit in Gen 0.  Do a full GC.  Set
lisp-gc-heap-threshold back to its saved (previous) value.  I guess this
part depends on promotion policy: Will all these things be moved to old
space at this point?  Or do you need to do a "few" GC's to trigger the
promotion?  Or will it all just go "KA-BOOM!"  Or...

> Bill St Clair once wrote a little graphic utility for MCL (the "GC
> thermometer", if anyone remembers) that displayed a representation of
> the heap in a wide/short window at the bottom of the screen; it
> updated itself every second or so and basically provided an animated
> view of GC activity.  If something like that still existed, it'd likely
> make some of this stuff easier to understand (and certainly easier to
> visualize.)

That would be pretty cool.  Unfortunately it likely wouldn't do me any
good as I'm on Linux...

/Jon