[Openmcl-devel] OpenGL Performance PPC vs Intel-Mac 32/64

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Mar 18 18:22:16 PDT 2009

I did program x86 chips at the assembly level about 30 years ago. This
is all part of suppressed memory, now. Anyway, not to worry. No
followup question. It just sounded as if there were  some kinds of
trade offs made between  86-32 and 86-64. The tradeoffs were not clear
to me. I will accept things how they are. For applications of OpenGL
this is somewhat bad news as indeed the individual calls usually take
very little time compared to the overhead. However,  direct rendering
with OpenGL, one vertex at a time, is no longer recommended anyway. I
guess the consequence of all this is simple to accelerate the process
of phasing out direct mode code.

Time to move on to more important things. Have you been able to get
Cocotron to work with CCL win at all?

thanks,

On Mar 18, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> That's my last attempt to explain this.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department