[Openmcl-devel] Maxima + Clozure on Windows

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 30 04:37:01 UTC 2009


Barton (and anyone else who might know):

1) is doing

bessel_j(3,2.0);

in Maxima equivalanet to doing

(maxima::bessel-j 3 2.0)

in lisp ?

2) is the correct answer approximately 0.129 ?  (That's what I get
in an x86-64 CCL.)

If so, then we may have a reproducible test case that demonstrates
at least one problem; the bad news is that the problem is likely
in the Maxima function SLATEC::DBESJ. which seems to have been
automatically translated from Fortran and is rather large (about 17KB
of source, about 32KB of object code.)  It might be necessary to
sort of whack at that from both ends in order to expose the bug.

(So yes, simple reproducible test cases are ideal, but not always
possible.  When they are possible they're much appreciated and
when they aren't, any steps that can be taken to simplify things
will likely be helpful.  In this case - where it looks like the
problem's in SLATEC::DBESJ - it may not be easy to simplify the
function much, but it'd be helpful to know if we're looking in
the right place.)


On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> If bugs in CCL are causing Maxima to fail some tests, I'm interested
> in fixing those bugs.
>
> Test cases (in lisp) that demonstrate those bugs would help me do that.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Maxima or its build/test
> infrastructure in order to track down any bugs from the problems you
> mention in your message.
>
>
> On Mar 26, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Barton Willis wrote:
>
>>
>> I'm a developer for the Maxima computer algebra system. Today I tried
>> compiling and running Maxima using Clozure CL + Windows XP (32bit):
>>
>> The tests rtest14, rtest15, and rtest_gamma abort; the rest of the
>> tests pass. Deleting these three tests, the run times are: (SBCL on
>> Windows is experimental.)
>>
>> SBCL 1.0.22 109.9 seconds,  6.105 seconds GC   9 850 167 496 bytes
>> consed
>> Clozure CL  162.0 seconds, 28.063 seconds GC   3 745 442 024 bytes
>> allocated
>>
>> Using Clozure CL, the share_testsuite reports some errors, but it
>> finishes:
>>
>> Errors found in rtest_numericalio.mac, problems: (50 52 57)
>> Errors found in testprintf.mac, problems: (27 54)
>> Error found in test_abs_integrate.mac, problem: (75)
>> Error found test_pochhammer.mac, problem: (29)
>>
>> I used a 2.13 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Core 2 CPU. One bug that I know is
>>
>> (%i1) bessel_j(3,2.0);
>>
>> (%o1)                                 0.0
>> (%i2) build_info();
>>
>> This bug shows up in the Maxima regression tests.
>>
>> Maxima version: 5.17post
>> Maxima build date: 13:56 3/26/2009
>> host type: @host@
>> lisp-implementation-type: Clozure Common Lisp
>> lisp-implementation-version: Version 1.3-dev-r11537M-trunk
>> (WindowsX8632)
>>
>> Let me know if you have questions; thanks for making Clozure CL run
>> under
>> XP.
>>
>> Barton Willis
>> Professor of Mathematics
>> University of Nebraska at Kearney
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Openmcl-devel mailing list
>> Openmcl-devel at clozure.com
>> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/openmcl-devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openmcl-devel mailing list
> Openmcl-devel at clozure.com
> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/openmcl-devel
>
>



More information about the Openmcl-devel mailing list