[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa on PPC32 ?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 1 01:23:46 PDT 2009

It's certainly supposed to work.  I just tried doing (REQUIRE "COCOA") in both the
current trunk and the current 1.3 release on PPCs running 10.5.6 and 10.4.11 and
also ran the pre-built IDE from the clozurecl-1.3-darwinppc.dmg archive on both
OSes, and didn't notice any problems; I don't remember having heard of anyone
having problems, and I don't remember there having been any such problems in
recent development versions.

(It's certainly true that the PPC versions of CCL get less exercise these days
than the x86 versions do, but a lot of the work I've been doing for the last
several months has been on a Darwin PPC box, and I used a fairly current CCL
on that machine fairly regularly.)

_NSRemoveHandler2 is part of the (32-bit) ObjC exception handling mechanism;
it's called all of the time as code transitions betwen Lisp and ObjC.  My first
guess is that a crash there is a symptom of something else (stack overflow ?),
but that's just a guess (and not necessarily a good one.)

If you can, please get it to crash like this and generate a backtrace in
the kernel debugger.  I'd be interested in seeing that, and it might lead to
a better guess.

(It also never hurts to mention what version of CCL you're using and what
OS version is involved.)