[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa on PPC32 ?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 1 13:24:01 PDT 2009

If 'make' (installed as part of Xcode on OSX) was installed but
running make generated errors, we'd almost certainly have seen some
output describing what those errors were, so it's pretty likely that
trying to run make just failed.  About all that we can say in that
case is something like "trying to run 'make' via RUN-PROGRAM failed",
but we just get a pretty generic "system error" that doesn't say too
much about what the problem is.

Since a couple of people have run into this in the last few weeks,
it's probably worth at least trying to say "trying to run 'make'
... failed for some reason", and may be worth mentioning that that may
be because 'make' (and possibly other developer tools) aren't
installed.

I'm sure that most people realize (if they think about it) that it's
pretty hard to compile C and assembler source code if the tools used
to do so aren't installed; I'm not sure that we can reliably do too
much more here (if the (RUN-PROGRAM "make" ...) just fails) besides
suggesting the possibility that it may be an installation problem (and
perhaps help people to think about that.)