[Openmcl-devel] debugging debugging

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Thu May 7 13:54:17 PDT 2009

we got early parts of our game engine ported to CCL. Things are going
pretty well so far, i.e., event processing and threading working
better than ever in MCL, but...

In the IDE version practically 90% of the code is running in some
thread other than the main one, e.g., some method dealing with a mouse
click, some animation running, some opengl view rendering. No problem
as long as there is no bug. The moment there is a problem in any of
these event handling, animation or rendering methods one gets the
AltConsole. In there I usually do not get a prompt to do anything
meaningful. I have to scroll back to see what caused the problem "***
Error in event process:  ...." The functionality is very limited
compared to getting the same bug in the main thread with feedback in
the listener. I cannot

- get an interactive backtrace: backtrace list with disclosure triangles
- get restart menus
- clear/delete the content. Text just piles up. The Edit > Delete menu
does not work. A clear button similar to the OS X console would be great

In other words the problem is that in 90% of the cases (code running
in non main thread) one gets 10% of the debugging functionality. In
MCL a new thread associated Listener would pop up giving the developer
the same debugging tools no matter which thread caused the issue.

Could that functionality be added to CCL?

alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department