[Openmcl-devel] Using OpenMCL with Aquamacs + Slime doesn't work

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Fri May 8 13:03:17 PDT 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Daniel Dickison wrote:

> I have slime checked out to ~/src/slime, and I have this in my
> Aquamacs Preferences.el file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/slime")
> (require 'slime)
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
> (setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
> (slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-xref-browser))
>

> I normally start swank from the command line and connect to it from
> Aquamacs, and the shell script I have for starting swank looks like:
>
> ccl -l "$HOME/src/slime/swank-loader.lisp" \
>     -e '(swank-loader:init :load-contribs t)' \
>     -e '(swank:create-server :coding-system "utf-8")' \
>     $@
>
> It took me a while to figure out the :load-contribs t thing, but it
> seems to be necessary.

In some circumstances, one might also need/want to specify -K utf-8
when starting up CCL.  The default encoding is iso-8859-1.  (This sets
the encoding for *terminal-io*.)

I'm kind of a SLIME caveman, so if anyone would care to improve the
"how to install SLIME" on the Trac wiki, that'd be welcome.

http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/InstallingSlime