[Openmcl-devel] Using OpenMCL with Aquamacs + Slime doesn't work

David Reitter reitter at cmu.edu
Fri May 8 13:23:27 PDT 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Gary Byers wrote:
> , and it told me that it had no idea what slime was.  I looked
> around inside the application bundle and didn't see anything
> that looked like it was part of slime, which suggests that
> Aquamacs is (no longer ?) bundling slime.

That's correct, as SLIME developers refuse to offer stable releases
and as SLIME seems to need constant massaging to fit the current
versions of various Lisp implementations, it is no longer part of
Aquamacs.  Instead, we supply SLIME as a separate plugin which comes
in a point-and-click installer and is built from the SLIME CVS every
night.

> If you're still getting the same error you were getting before
> and slime isn't part of Aquamacs, that suggests that you still
> have an old (and perhaps buggy) version of slime on Aquamacs'
> load path somewhere. IIRC, you may be able to do something like
>
> M-x find-load-file <return> slime <return>
>
> to have Emacs tell you where it's finding the slime that it's
> finding.

What works for me is M-x locate-library RET slime RET.  If it
returns  /Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/SLIME/slime.el,
it is using the plugin.
Btw, I use this with openmcl Version 1.2-r11300M  (DarwinX8664) and I
haven't had any problems.