[Openmcl-devel] AppleScript

Daniel Dickison danieldickison at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:00:29 PDT 2009

I'm the author of cl-applescript, and you're right that it has been
pretty much abandoned (the project I had originally wrote that library
for went defunct).  However, I believe it still works if you only have
simple AppleScript needs, with the following caveats:
	1. All AS is executed using the osascript command line interface,
which means:
		a. You can't construct AppleEvents programatically (you need to
construct script strings).
		b. Every call has to compile the AppleScript from scratch, which is
slow.
		c. The entire return value is stored as a string before parsing, so
you wouldn't want to do huge queries.
	2. Parsing dictionaries hasn't been implemented.

The patch for CCL bug 216 should no longer be necessary if you're
using CCL 1.3 (I should update that page).  If you would like to use
the library but you need dictionary parsing, I think it should be
pretty easy to implement and I'll be happy to help you with that.

That said, Scripting Bridge is probably the way to go.  You'll be
writing Cocoa code (presumably via the Clozure Objective-C bridge),
but I believe you can use it to script any application, regardless of
whether it's Cocoa or Carbon.

Daniel