[Openmcl-devel] wx86cl on international systems

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Thu May 14 20:30:55 PDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 8:32 AM, dherring at tentpost.com wrote:

> FWIW, clozure is very unhappy if installed in a path containing non-
> ascii
> characters.
>
> In cmd.exe, I cd to c:\cclㅁ (c:\cclM where M is the square
> Korean
> character; any Korean characters in the path have this effect) and run
> C:\cclㅁ>wx86cl.exe > log.txt
>
> The head of log.txt follows, with a very large number of recursive-
> lock
> errors elided.

I believe this is because the lisp kernel (a C program) is responsible
for figuring out the path to the CCL directory.  The lisp deals well
with the UTF-16 encoded pathnames that Windows uses, but the lisp
kernel, well, not so much.

It looks like we'd need to use GetCommandLineW and CommandLineToArgvW
to convert the command line arguments to unicode-style strings, and
then change the argument processing and image path name derivation
code to use wchar_t functions.

I'll open a ticket for this.