[Openmcl-devel] patch: ability to create socket for given file descriptor number

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue May 19 01:06:08 PDT 2009

Sorry; stuff tends to slip through the cracks and scroll off the top of
mail readers.  Sometimes, it's better to open a ticket in Trac instead
of or as well as sending email to this list (since that helps to avoid
the "scrolling off into yesterday's mail" problem.)

I looked at your first patch and aside from being mildly appalled at
the situation you're trying to address (where a process is created with
fd 0 set to something that can't be read from) didn't see an obvious
problem.  We probably need to be careful to document the new :FD argument
as being something that should be used with some caution.

As far as patches go: I don't think that we've ever rejected a patch
because of formatting or style issues, but formatting issues
(especially) can make patches harder to apply than they need to be.
I'd say that "svn diff" output (against the trunk or release and
identified as such) is ideal (since that output mentions the revisions
involved), and when sending patches via email, it's much, much better
to send them as enclosures (as you have) than in the body of the message.
Among other things, mail programs tend to wrap long lines and otherwise
modify the message body, and it can be hard to undo those modifications
before applying the patch.

I'll try to check this patch into the trunk in a minute and, assuming
that no one using the trunk experiences any problems (I wouldn't think
that they would, your changes looked pretty straightforward) propagate
it into 1.3 after a few days.  Thanks and sorry for not responding to
the earlier message.