[Openmcl-devel] Speed, compilers and multi-core processors

Jeremy Jones jaj at clozure.com
Tue May 19 11:39:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Dan Weinreb <dlw at itasoftware.com> wrote:
> And you know what other language works this way?
> Clojure, a very promising new dialect of Lisp.
>
> -- Dan

I'd like to endorse the approach taken by Clojure (the other Closure)
too.  It is a dialect of Lisp that where a central design decision was
to make almost all data structures immutable.  This obviates most of
the need for locking, a common performance issue for multi-threaded
programs.  It is easy to write programs that rarely use shared,
mutable data structures.  And when you do need shared, mutable data
structures, the locking is explicit.  Take a look at a
http://clojure.blip.tv/file/1313398/ for an introduction to Clojure
for Lisp programmers.  I wasn't expecting much, but it's really good.

Someone could define a version of Common Lisp with these characteristics...