[Openmcl-devel] My beach balls runneth over

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue May 19 13:36:32 PDT 2009

Without a reliable way to reproduce the problem(s), it's very difficult
to have any idea of what the problem is or how to fix it.

If you wind up in the kernel debugger and don't know why, trying to
figure out how you got there ("b" generates a backtrace that at least
shows the lisp stack up to the last foreign function call, "r" shows
machine register values.  If running under the standlone IDE, output
from those commands goes to the window maintained by the AltConsole
application; that windows's contents can be saved to a text file.

Many library functions write diagnostic messages to system logfiles;
/Applications/Utilities/Console.app can be used to view these logfiles.
It's possible that some messages might mention problems that lead up
to the SBOD.

The beachball cursor generally means that the thread which waits for
and processes events hasn't tried to fetch an event in a while (I
think that "a while" is "about 1 second.")  There can be any number
of reasons for this; among the more mundane reasons are cases where
the event thread is sitting in the kernel debugger or a break loop
(waiting for input in the AltConsole window.)