[Openmcl-devel] Speed, compilers and multi-core processors

Dan Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Wed May 20 11:06:08 PDT 2009

The instruction set is very restricted, and the communication
paths aren't there, as you suggested.  GPGPU is especially
good for highly compute-intensive operations over not
all that much data.  An FFT is an obvious example but
there are many, many good examples.  (Not that I'm an
expert, but I do know that much.)

There are CUDA-compatible devices that don't even
have a video connection, i.e. for GPGPU only.
The NVidia Tesla, called a "computing processor"
(weird name).  240 cores per board, and you can
chain together four of them.

(My officemates are getting this info and telling to
me faster than I can type it in.  Thanks, Andrew
and Scott.)

-- Dan