[Openmcl-devel] A few minor requests for the IDE

Kristian Bredin kristianbredin at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:23:00 PDT 2009

Hi!

I have a few minor requests for the ongoing development (and
tweaking) of the IDE.

1. I'd like to be able to Command-Option-click on a function name,
and then be brought to the definition (as in MCL). Option-. works,
but I prefer the click version. The cursor should preferably not turn
into a crosshair either, but rather remain as it is (= a vertical bar).

2. I'd like the text in an editor window to stay in the same
scrolling position when I alter the size of the window. This does
work when the scrollbar is at the top, but I'd also like this to be
true when the scrollbar is in other positions. This typically happens
when I go to a definition via 1. above. The editor window is usually
quite small (if I haven't opened it before) and the enclosing parens
of the sexp is hilighted. Then I move the window to the top and drag
the bottom-right corner to resize it. When I release the mouse, the
sexp pops to a new position. I suspect that this is a feature, but
I'd prefer it to be as I write in the first sentence of this paragraph.

3. There's also a slightly irritating detail regarding horizontal
scroll position. When the cursor is at the beginning of a buffer (as
it is initially when opening an existing source file) and you drag
the bottom-right corner horizontally (either to the left or to the
right), the window scrolls horizontally a tiny bit.

4. I'd like editor windows to have exactly the same size and position
when I reopen them. This is almost true, but if the window is as tall
as the screen (in my case 1050 pixels minus the menubar) it leaves a
small gap above and below the window, the next time I open it.

5. It would be nice if the Apropos window could have two text input
areas (as in MCL). It's quite often that I remember two separate
fractional parts of a symbol name, but not the exact order.

6. The symbol column of the search result area of the Apropos window
is a bit narrow. I find myself dragging the separator to the right
everytime I restart CCL. I would be nice if this could be remembered
between sessions.

Best Regards,
Kristian Bredin