[Openmcl-devel] Speed, compilers and multi-core processors

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Thu May 21 14:35:27 PDT 2009

In some cases you can apply the antiobjects idea to find a completely
different solution that WILL work nicely with GPGPU frameworks. Say,
if you do pathfinding then A* is usually the way to go. Because of the
problems you mentioned A* will not work well with CPUs, i.e., A* is
neither easily parallelizable  and nor incremental. Collaborative
Diffusion solves the same problem in a completely different way that
is parallelizable  and incremental. In essence you are running some
kind of cellular automata computing diffusion equations. I think there
would be many more applications like this.

Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department