[Openmcl-devel] user-defined loop paths

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Nov 18 01:45:46 PST 2009

On 18 Nov 2009, at 06:14, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> On a slight tangent, is there a perception that iterate could replace
> loop in the "next CL"?

If there is a perception of a "next CL" at all, then clearly no:
there's a mass of code which uses LOOP all of which would break if
some other looping construct was mandated instead.  I can't see people
spending the effort to standardise yet another looping construct.

However the situation is really moot I think - there probably never
will be a next CL, and in any case since iterate exists in a portable
form so anyone can use it (one could have said the same for LOOP of
course, but I think there were several variants and they may not have
been as freely available).  Really the only issue with these things is
that people still seem not to have worked out that using a flat
package namespace is not really a very smart idea: maybe one day they
will learn that lesson.