[Openmcl-devel] CCL startup script (ccl & ccl64) is not Bourne Shell compatible

Chun Tian binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 09:09:38 PDT 2009

Hi, Clozure team

CCL's startup script (ccl & ccl64) cannot run correctly under Solaris
10, because this two scripts is NOT Bourne Shell compatible and have
#!/bin/sh as their first line. The problem is in following lines:

if [ -z "$CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY"  -a  -n "`which readlink`" ]; then
     dir="`readlink $0`"
     probe "${dir%/scripts/ccl64}"
fi

Here, the syntax "${dir%/scripts/ccl64}" is only support in GNU bash
(Bourne Again Shell) but original "sh". Today, almost every OS have "/
bin/sh" link to "/bin/bash" so that most users didn't notice this
issue. But Solaris 10 still use the original "/bin/sh" which lack of
support of that usage on shell variables.

As a trivial fix, I suggest replacing the first line of above scripts
from "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash", that's what I did under Solaris 10
right now (I also need to install a third-party "readlink" utility
because Solaris 10 don't have it). I believe this small change won't
cause any new issues for CCL users under other UNIX-line OS (Linux,
Mac, FreeBSD, ...)

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)