[Openmcl-devel] Compiler warnings

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Sun Oct 18 08:49:06 PDT 2009

[taking this at its face value, as an ernest misunderstanding which
bears correction]

On 2009-10-18, at 17:30 , Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:

> [...]
>
> But I have to confess, I am still not convinced, and I think that the
> THE operator is not
> conformant to the specs [according to the spec THE should compare the
> specified type
> with the type of the returned value of the form]; please forget about
> previous submissions
> because there is some confusions about if warning is necessary or not.

[one thing at a time]

where does the spec say that

  "THE should compare the specified type with the type of the
returned value of the form" ?

the version to which i customarily refer contains text [http://
www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/s_the.htm] which says

  "the specifies that the values[1a] returned by form are of the
types specified by value-type. The consequences are undefined if any
result is not of the declared type."

those two sentences do not mean the same thing as the behavior which
you assert.