[Openmcl-devel] A plug for UTF-8

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Tue Oct 20 11:28:29 PDT 2009

Ron,

I was just looking at this email, and wanted to tell you
something relevant that I thought you might be interested
in.  The cl-bench library has a benchmark called read-many-lines,
which opens /usr/share/dict/words and calls readline on it until
end of file.  This turns out to signal a condition in SBCL,
because (on Ubuntu 8, at least) the file is encoded in LATIN-1,
whereas SBCL defaults to UTF-8, and there is a byte sequence
in the file that is not legal in the UTF-8 encoding.

I won't bother to try to do a root-blame analysis!  I agree
that everything should be UTF-8, including that file...

Anyway, just FYI.

-- Dan